Monday, May 21, 2018

Chewy dinner rolls

I wanted a dinner roll that was chewy and moist and had a little bit of flavor to it.  These turned out pretty well, so I thought I'd better write it down before I forgot what I did. I think next time I would add a little more parmesan.

1/2 cup scalded milk
1/2 cup scalded heavy cream
1/4 cup butter, melted, more for brushing
1/4 cup olive oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
bread flour

Let milk cool a little Combine milk, cream, butter, oil, eggs, and sugar.  Add the other ingredients, adding enough bread flour for a non-sticky dough.  Knead for a few minutes, until smooth.  Put it in an oiled bowl and cover, let rise until doubled.  Divide into 16 rolls.  I put them in a 9-inch oiled springform pan.  Cover and let rise again, about 1/2 hour.  Bake in a 350 oven until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.  Brush with more melted butter if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment