Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Posole Verde a la Wallski

This is dedicated to my cousin Anthony Reynoso, who inspired me to get off my duff and finally make posole. This is probably completely different from his version, but what the heck, it was good. Makes about 4 big bowls full. Reheats well.

1 1/2 pounds pork butt
1 15 oz can of whole hominy, drained
6 large whole cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons ground cumin
6 cups of water
1 cup toasted pepitas
1/2 pound tomatillos (about 1-2 cups)
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded
salt to taste
tortillas

Possible garnishes to serve with the posole (the more the better):
avocado slices
sliced radishes
minced cilantro
wedges of lime
minced scallions or red onion


Put cumin, water, pork, hominy and garlic in a pot and simmer on low heat for and hour and a half to two hours. Put pepitas, tomatillos, jalapeno, and some of the simmering broth in a blender and blend until smooth. Add to the pork broth. Continue to simmer for 30-60 minutes. Serve with warm tortillas and garnishes.

2 comments:

  1. I am lovin' it. Perhaps at some point I'll get back to posting on my own food blog more regularly....in the meantime, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's possible to make a smaller recipe hurry-up cheaters version by microwaving the pork, spices, and liquid- if you're doing this, chicken broth will make it richer. Then finish in about 1/2 hr on stove top. I put in my leftover chipotle sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete